May Day Mountain Chapbook Series
The winning author will receive $100 in prize money plus fifty 5×7, handmade letterpress copies of their manuscript, designed & illustrated by May Day Studio of Montpelier, Vermont.
- $10.00 reading fee.
- Reading period: November 8, 2019 – March 1, 2020.
- Winner will be announced in the spring of 2020.
- Send 30-50 pages of fiction, short stories, poetics, nonfiction, hybrid work, short scripts, experimental biography and autobiography, as well as new approaches to journalism, scholarship, and critique.
- If needed, include a table of contents & acknowledgments.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but please notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Every submitter will receive a hardcopy of a classic issue of Hunger Mountain.
The Howard Frank Mosher Short Fiction Prize, The Ruth Stone Poetry Prize, The Katherine Paterson Prize for Young Adult & Children’s Writing, The Hunger Mountain Creative Nonfiction Prize, & The International Young Writers Prize are open for submissions from November 1, 2019, to March 1, 2020.
For the first four categories, one first place winner receives $1,000 & online publication, & one runner-up receives $100 & online publication. You may enter more than one piece in each category, or separate pieces in multiple categories, but each entry needs its own entry fee. Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but please let us know within twenty-four hours if your work is accepted elsewhere, & please know that we can’t refund entry fees. You can read previous winners here.
The Guest Judges will be announced soon. We look forward to reading your best!
The Young Writers Prize is open to all genres of creative writing: fiction, nonfiction, poetry, & writing for children. Our goal is to foster the next generation of creative writers, & to encourage young people to make their voices heard.One winner will receive a $100 honorarium & online publication. Read the inaugural winner here. This contest is judged by Hunger Mountain’s Assistant Editors.